Friday 1 October 2010

Hello one and all! Apologies for such a delay in posts, work has been hectic of late. Just pushed out two websites in the past month, and currently beavering away at another for a new Solar PV Installation company - exciting stuff!!

Although it's all good fun creating new websites for people all the time, I think it's necessary to sometimes take stock and adjust your work-social balance. I've got a full-time 9-5 job as a software developer, and work doing freelance website development in Exeter in my free time. This said, boundaries often blur in terms of having some time off. Yesterday for example, I worked 9am - 6:30pm at work, got home, made my girlfriend dinner, then worked from 8pm-11:30pm; a little too much I'd hope you'd agree.

If I'm not careful this is an on-going process for me, and I'll work 4 hours a night every night of the week - and crash on the weekends wanting to do nothing but sleep. So today, I've taken stock and decided to put in place a little routine for forthcoming projects - maximum 2 evenings a week freelance development time, maximum 3hours at a time. I love to be able to get back to customers asap, and deliver results before they've even finished their question but I think now that I've built an established client base that trusts me they'd be happy to wait a few days for the work to be done - surely!!

Anyway, my 2 cents - make sure you don't burn the candle at both ends. Doing freelance work should be an enjoyable alternative to the real grind. Don't make the mistake of making it your life and turning you into a working bore.

Ta, ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment