Wednesday 9 March 2011

Joys of Joomla!

So as I blogged in the past, I wanted to use Joomla! for future projects to give my clients more flexibility with their websites and give them that extra edge on their competitors by updating their website with the click of a button and without lengthy and costly intervention.

I'm inherently lazy, and so I find are most of the IT professionals - that's why we're in IT. We make shortcuts all day every day, making things to make our lives easier and simpler in the future. Though I'm sure I'm not the first to realise we're not getting there as fast as we'd like!

So, for my latest project I've decided to use Joomla! At first it seemed quite daunting with all the different configuration options, along with the talk of modules and plugins which I had nightmares about being really difficult to understand the concept. After a morning of playing and tinkering, I ended up with a working site as well as a customised template all of my own. OK, it wasn't very pretty, but the concepts there and I'm happy I could build something customised for a client within a reasonable timeframe.

The great thing I've found, which I was sceptical on at first, is that you can create a simple HTML/CSS site to start with as your template then add in all the Joomla! stuff afterwards. Plug in all the modules and content areas you want, and with a little more CSS tinkering you've got a pretty decent site.

My thanks to Norm at Teaching Joomla! for his expertise in getting me started.

Go on, give Joomla! a go

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to find your impressive way of writing the post. Now it become easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thanks for sharing the post
    web design company

    ReplyDelete